Looking for Orientation Week Volunteers
Hope you are enjoying a great summer! When you think back about your O-week, I hope you have all great memories and remember all the different activities at Tempelhofer Feld and in various pubs. This fantastic experience was only possible with the help of all the second year students!
This year's O-Week is approaching now and we are looking forward to welcome very many new Hertie students! But the O-Week is not just for the first years to get to know Hertie, it is also for us to get to know our new fellow students. To achieve this, the O-Week committee (which you should join if you want) put together a diverse program, with many program points in which you are very welcome to participate and some, in which we need your active help. Attached you see the preliminary program.
In particular, we would be very glad to find volunteers for two particular activities:
- The "Home from Hertie"-Dinner at 7 pm, Tuesday, Sept 1: The idea is that you, if you want together with other Hertians, invite some of the new arriving students for a dinner at your place and cook for them (or with them). This will be a great opportunity to get to know some of the exciting new students and make friends and also to give them some tips for their first semester. Of course you can choose, how many first years you would like to invite. If your living room can accommodate ten people, congratulations, that is awesome, but if it is only three, these three first years will be as grateful as ten of them. If you would like to help and open your door for the new Hertians, write us! For planning, it would be good if you think about how many first years you want to invite. Don't worry if you have doubts about your cooking skills. In case the recipe fails, just say, it is weird Berlin culture, nobody will be able to know, they are new here :-) Oh, and also, we will be able to support you with your expenses for the dinner (probably not for lobster and champaign though).
- The famous Pub Crawl after the opening lecture on Thursday night (Sept 3): Like last year we would like to show the first years some of Berlin's best bars and again the idea is to make groups for different parts of the city. We would need you as a guide for one of the groups (and there will be many groups!!). Of course, you can do that in teams and you can choose which part of the city you would like to go to. Also if your favorite place in Berlin should not be missed, please tell us, where they are, or even better, take a group and go there. If you would like to guide a tour, but don't want to look for possible bars, also no problem, the O-week committee will put together ideas, so you just have to bring the first years there sober and back home drunk afterwards :-) It would be super if you would participate in the pub crawl and if you let us know as soon as possible.
Of course, you are also very welcome to join us for Tempelhofer Feld on Monday and also for the Germany country presentation on Wednesday! Btw: If you have any ideas, what shouldn't be missed in the country presentation or if you want to help: Join the team!!! This is especially for Non-Germans: Probably you have a more credible idea about Germany than the Germans.
- to welcome some first years at your house during the Home from Hertie Dinner: Tell us if you're cooking with other second years, if so, who, your address, and how many first years you can accommodate.
- if you want to guide a pub crawl group. Specify your area preference if any and/or send us your ideas for pubs which should be included in the pub crawl.
- to give your ideas for the German country presentation.
- with any other ideas you have for the O-week or if you would like to participate or have questions.
In any case, we would be very glad to hear from you and are looking forward to a great O-Week with you guys!
All the Best,
Matthias and Milou - for the entire O-Week committee
Become a Buddy for New MPP Students
It is almost time for the Hertie School to welcome incoming students for the Class of 2017! Would you be interested in helping these new students settle in to Berlin? Become a Buddy!
Many of these new students have never traveled to Berlin (or even Europe), and would like to have someone meet them at the airport. Others are just interested in meeting a fellow Hertie student in order to get to know the city, the local hang-outs, the best bike routes, etc. Also, if you are unable to assist students in-person over the summer, you can still help! Incoming students are eager to correspond with current students and Hertie alumni to learn more about their experiences at the university and in Berlin via email.
a) Your name & where you are from
b) Types of Activities you would be willing to participate in (picking someone up at the airport, showing someone around Berlin, email, etc.)
c) Relative Availability
d) How many buddies would you be able to take on?
e) Any further information
Student Affairs already has a few students with specific requests and would like to set them up with somebody as soon as possible!